Wednesday, February 07, 2007

not taipei/dessert: AUNTIE EM's KITCHEN




So I'm headed back to Taipei after lots of great food and travels in the states- so don't worry back to your regularly scheduled programming soon. But I had to share a picture of the adorable and delicious cupcakes I love from Auntie Em's Kitchen. I would much rather eat these than the overrated cupcakes from Sprinkles- even though I have to trek to Eagle Rock to get them.

The picture is of their mini cupcakes which go for $1+ - and their regular sized giant cupcakes ($3+) are almost as big as a pint of ice cream with a helmet of frosting and the dense yet moist cupcake underneath- definitely enough to share, but only if you felt like it. Personally, I love the red velvet and the coconut. These may be the best red velvet cupcakes I've ever had- and yes, better than the ones at Doughboys (a bit heavy) and Sprinkles (not as moist)! The cream cheese frosting of the red velvet is a bit more sugary than smooth cream cheese, but works with the less sweet taste of the moist red velvet. The coconut shavings mesh with the slightly lemony cake. There's also chocolate (which is on the dark chocolate side to me) and carrot.

There also a ton of other freshly baked pastries- and oh yeah, they serve food. Delicious homestyle food, sandwiches and salads and a mean strawberry lemonade. Eat it in their cozy cafe style restaurant after ordering at the counter, or get it to go.

Either way, I am going to be drooling and daydreaming about these cupcakes on the plane all the way to Taipei.

AUNTIE EM's KITCHEN
4616 Eagle Rock Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90041
(323) 255-0800

website: http://www.auntieemskitchen.com

hours: mon-fri 8am to 7pm
sat-sun 8am to 4pm

$-$$

3 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Those cupcakes look great. I haven't been impressed by the chocolate frosted sugar bombs Sprinkles serves. I'll give Auntie Em's a try sometime.

ZZ said...

Looks too sweet for me! BTW, Next week I'll visit Japan, so I would like to post for some Japanese foods.

Urban Epicurean said...

Auntie Em's has THE BEST Red Velvet cupcakes I've ever tried. Sure, there's nothing special about the red cake itself, other than it's perfectly moist, perfectly sweet, and beautifully red, but it's the combination of cake and icing that's so darn good! though i have to say, the icing is more than generous which leaves me scraping off a couple of forkfuls.

:)