Thursday, May 03, 2012

snapshot/sightseeing: i strongly recommend TAIPEI ZOO




TAIPEI ZOO

MRT: Taipei Zoo

Somewhere in LA, there are pictures of me with my cousins at the Taipei Zoo, probably taken in the early 80s. In my fuzzy recollection, I only remember that zoos are smelly. After visiting the zoo when I first moved back, I prepared myself for the smell of elephant sized manure, but found out that like many memories, it was slightly exaggerated and the real thing wasn't so bad (as long you kept moving!) Even though I have yet to go to the LA Zoo or the San Diego Zoo, I found myself at the Taipei Zoo several times a year, gawking at the giraffes and elephants, taking pictures of the pandas and penguins like all the other visitors. It's a nice way to spend an afternoon, and luckily they've amped up their shops sometime the past year as well for touristy souvenirs and midday eats.


If you want to eat before or after all the trekking through the zoo, there is a McDonalds and 7-11 after the zoo's entrance, as well as a gift shop with funny animal hats and a photobooth. But I recommend that you find the zoo tram, take it all the way to the top of the zoo and walk your way down. Somewhere near the zebras, there's picnic tables and a mini zoo food court that includes pork chop rice, pizzas, fried chicken and 50 Lan drinks. 


yay for signage in English!







Also don't miss the panda bears who might be playing outside or running on their obstacle course, since there isn't as crazy of a wait these days.


thought this shirt was so cute



A quick MRT ride from the city and short walk from the Taipei Zoo MRT stop. 











7 comments:

kirbie said...

Haha, I love that panda shirt!

joanh said...

Kirbie- it's so cute right? :)

Anonymous said...

how much is that panda shirt, if you remember?

Anonymous said...

is it an adult tshirt?

Anonymous said...

Do you know how much it costs to go to the zoo?

joanh said...

anonymous- i don't remember, sorry! i think they had adult and kids sizes

bunnie- for adults it's NT$60 or US$2. really affordable!!

iceprinxess said...

The panda looks adorable. hehe ^^

:)